Wednesday 13 November 2013

Visit to Auschwitz

Last Wednesday I went on a trip to Auschwitz run by the Holocaust Education Trust, which aims to educate young people from every background about the Holocaust and the important lessons to be learned for today. You can find out more about the Holocaust Education Trust here http://www.het.org.uk/index.php.

We visited a local village called Oświęcim, then went to Auschwitz I and Auschwitz Birkenau. Our day finished with a moving memorial service led by Rabbi Barry.

It was an long and surreal day and I am grateful that I had the opportunity to go.

This is a poem that I wrote reflecting my experience of Auschwitz, particularly the inspired by the stone stairs in the Auschwitz I buildings.

Steps. Steps
Where I tread my feet
Walking the prints of murderers and murdered
Of vanquishers and victims.

Evil is not often a leap
But steps
A system obeyed
Eyes turned blind
A phone call for a reward
A crowd followed
Priorites chosen

Steps taken
Conscience seared
Humanity eroded.



I very rarely write poetry but it sometimes seems to express some things in a way that prose can't. I hope it goes some way to communicate my thoughts. It could continue and talk about steps to hope and goodness - I may write that verse one day - or maybe you could continue it for yourself.

What steps have you taken today - and where have they been leading?

No comments:

Post a Comment